Before you start the job search process it is essential that you prepare a professional resume (CV) fitting the local Canadian style. Generally a resume that is styled for the UK, European or other overseas markets will not be suitable for use in Canada. Your resume should provide a description of your skills and competencies, your educational and work history, and your achievements. It may be formatted as follows:
- Address (Where possible, please use a reliable address in Canada if you have friends or family in the country.)
- Phone and E-mail address
- Date of Birth
- Nationality (IMPORTANT - clearly state that you are applying for Canadian permanent residence visas or are approved.)
- Career Goals: Summarise your career objectives
- Profile Summary: A brief summary of your personal attributes, key skills, competencies and technical capabilities including software packages used, etc
(Indicate dates and certificates/diplomas/ degrees attained. (IMPORTANT - where possible indicate the Canadian equivalent of your qualification.)
- Education and Qualifications (Indicate dates and certificates/diplomas/degrees attained. Mention highest level of education only).
IMPORTANT; Where possible, indicate the Canadian equivalent of your qualification
(Indicate dates; Month and Year. List your current job first.)
- Company / Organisation Name, City, Country and position held
- Responsibilities (Describe your duties, job content, position in organisation, staff supervised, projects/challenges completed, promotions. Also, describe the activities of your employing organisation, e.g. industry sector, market standing, size, turnover, etc.)
- Computer and technical experience; (Provide a description of your computer or technical competencies, including software languages etc).
- Professional development; (Please indicate any relevant short courses taken, indicating specific skills acquired).
- Professional affiliations; (Please indicate memberships to clubs, professional regulatory bodies of industry associations).
- Languages: (indicate languages spoken and level of competency).
Name, Position, Address and contact details of two former employers or persons of good standing in the community that know you.
Please click here to open an example CV/Resume in the Canadian style.